Sunday, February 21, 2010

To Blog or Not To Blog

That is the question....My husband's question "Why in the world would you do that?!" I have not figured out the answer yet.

My thought is that possibly blogging would provide an outlet and support as I once again pursue the skinny jeans. Yes, like many women, I am in need of losing a few pounds (or more like 50). I have tried LA weight loss, South Beach, Sugarbusters, Weight Watchers, Best Life, starving, supplements, you name it. (Because of my medical background I will not try Atkins, but that discussion is for another day.) And here I am. Overweight and sick of it.

So you might say - what about exercise? Yup do that too. Ran a 5 mile road race on Thanksgiving, which was huge for me as I have never even run down the street prior to a year ago. I spin. I pay a personal trainer. I am strong. I can run up the stairs and not feel short of breath....

Yesterday was the straw....an intervention of sorts from my personal trainer. He didn't see the point in my continuing to work out with him with the goal of losing weight if I was not willing to look at what I eat (I am paraphrasing, he was much kinder and gentler than that). The pounds just won't come off, no matter how hard I exercise. Rocket science - calories in calories out. That is how you lose weight. So I worked my butt off to come home and have my 8 year old daughter say that she thinks that I should buy the "magic belly hider" she saw on an infomercial. Great. Et tu Erin?

So here I sit. I know what to do, and I am not quite sure why I don't do it. Eat healthy, exercise, limit alcohol (ugh) and refined sugar. Drink water. Get enough sleep. Hey, I am a nurse practitioner. I give great advice to my patients, friends and family. Now I have to start the walk. And it is a long road. One pound at a time.

6 comments:

  1. Great start! Blogging is a great outlet! I'll enjoy reading yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good decision! Sending you good energy. Right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Allison!! We are all in persuit of skinny jeans!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a great website called sparkpeople.com
    You plug in your current weight, your height, your desired weight and fitness goals, and it tells you exactly how many calories you need to eat, what workouts to do (how many calories to burn) and it even has sample daily menus that fit the calorie bracket you are in. You can log everything online to keep track of what you eat/ workouts daily and how close/ over/ under your calorie quota you go...and you can also link into online communities with people who have similar goals/ backgrounds (i.e "professional 30 somethings with 'x' lbs to lose" or "busy moms weight loss")- a very supportive, non judgmental website with concrete strategies to support weight loss. I used it after I had Jack, and it really helped. Good luck- you'll do great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. allison-
    i have never read a blog before - yours is the first! For the record, I have just started to try to fit in a yoga class every now and again and as I sit - not in lotus - knees several inches above the floor and the instructor suggests we lean and let our bellies fall toward our crossed legs and our noses toward the floor and my belly is following my back which is arching the other direction because there is no way my hips are going to allow me to get anywhere near my knees, never mind the floor - I think of graceful, beautiful, flexible Allison melting into positions. You are beautiful. If you want to lose weight for health - go for it. But please remember that some of us are striving to be more like you. It takes all sorts and jeans come in all sizes.

    lots of love and luck jojohayes

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is cool, Allie. I would like to share the journey with you. I am in pursuit of the curvy boot cut jean, however. Skinny jeans never looked good on me. :) But it makes you wonder why we have the genes (ha ha) we have that make us have to work that much harder to keep fit. As we get older (and having just turned the big 40, I know), it gets that much harder to maintain a body that makes us feel good. I need to exercise that much more or eat that much less, and sometimes I just can't do it. So how do we get to the point where we are okay with how we look, in a healthy place, not feeling guilty or fat, and living life?

    ReplyDelete