Sunday, September 18, 2011

Goddess in Training

This is the week I turn the big 4-0. Although I do not feel as though this is a bad thing....it is an interesting point in my life. A time of great reflection. A co-worker recently told me of a native american tribe that believes that women who turned 50 are Goddesses. They are all knowing- full of wisdom, kindness and beauty. She deemed me a "Goddess in Training". This is my syllabus.

I will love and care for my body. That does not mean diet. That does not mean beat myself up in the gym. It does mean to fill it with healthy, delicious food. It does mean to move and stretch. It does mean to rest when tired. Care for injuries. Accept my body for all that it is.

I will nourish my primary relationships. Being kind to those close to me can be an effort. They get the brunt of my stress and fatigue. I snap and push away. Spend way too much time at work and on the computer. I will schedule more one on one time with my husband. Snuggle with my kids. Go on family walks with the dog.

I will make time and space for myself. A year ago I went on retreat for 3 days by myself. Next month I will go away for 5. Time to focus inward is the single most important thing I can do for my life and well being. Over the past year I have begun a true spiritual journey. Learning and practicing loving myself. I yearn to see myself as others see me. I will continue on the journey to feel the spirit of something greater than myself.

I will surround myself with others that are kind and loving. Like attracts like and I need all the help I can get.

I will continue to attend the church that I love. Having never really liked church growing up, I have now found a true spiritual home. The community has embraced me for all that I am. It was evident today when talking to a few members about my upcoming birthday. All of the responses were "how wonderful!" , "a great new chapter in your life" and "you have so much to look forward to." Positivity and love all around that wonderful place.

I will live in the now. Try to come to the present moment as often as I can. Relish in the beauty of all that is around me. Appreciate all that I have and be truly grateful.

So there. My plan for my next decade. I know it will be filled with ups and downs. I will embrace life for all that it is.

Forty schmorty....I am a Goddess in Training!

No comments:

Post a Comment